How to help
There are two primary ways to support Mentores Solidarios: be a mentor to one or more students or make a donation to help us cover operating costs and provide additional educational opportunities.
As a mentor, you will:
- Support your assigned student economically. Yearly sponsorships range from US$ 300 and US$ 500 per year (depending on the particular school), and include tuition, school fees, textbooks and uniforms.
- Payments can be made directly in our offices, through a bank transfer, or by credit card (via phone or online).
- We require a US$ 180 deposit at the beginning of the year to subscribe as a mentor. Most of the upfront costs occur between the first few months of the year.
- The remaining payments can be made throughout the year in automatic monthly payments
- We expect a five year commitment
- Provide guidance and mentoring to the sponsored student. Mentores Solidarios will send you the student's grades every three months and the mentors are asked to to follow-up on the students' performance.
- We request that the mentors maintain regular contact with the students they sponsor (either through personal visits, phone or email)
- We invite the mentor to a yearly gathering event in Nicaragua and other activities
For US taxpayers: Mentores Solidarios is a 501c3 registered nonprofit organization in the US, which means that if you donate via PayPal below your donation is tax deductible.
Please click the corresponding button below if you want to become a Mentor or make a donation:Become a Mentor for a Student Donate for Operative Cost